Rekindling the Literary Flame

Thursday, July 27, 2023

My attention and energy would rather go to vegging out watching mindless tv or social media than just starting these books on the shelf. 

 I stumbled upon a post a few months ago that called out those that used to be avid readers when they were younger. 


The ones who could complete an almost 500 page book in the span of four days. 


Finished a series within a week. 


Complete a little pick me up in less than three hours. 


I used to be like that. In my teens, I lived in my school library. 


In fact, the librarian was my bestie. Side note: She looked just like Flo from the Progressive commercials and that just added to our rapport. I would leave with a stack of 3-4 books, two of them most likely from The Clique series. A week later I was excited to swap.  


I loved reading. I would look forward to turning the textured pages, trying so hard to not get a grease stain while I was snacking. At times needing to close the book and reflect on life during certain plot points.


The next time I fully read a book cover to cover had to of been ten years later from that point...



With a recent resurgence of reading, booktok, bookstagrams, book vloggers, you name it, it's refreshing to see the dust off appreciation for reading. 


Reading could come off as cool. It's the new avenue. 


There's a proper reading community now! I love it.


I look back and think what a time. 

During my teenage years, movie adaptations were on the rise.

The excitement of the "they casted WHO? the disappointment of the "I imagined it this way"


Those that read Paper Towns by John Green remembers...


Now a movie adaptation is the norm. Production is doing a pretty good job at adapting books or video games into blockbusters now.


However, reading ignites a part of your brain that visual media doesn't give us a chance to do. 

The reader is the one really creating the visuals of the world. The author could provide us a setting however, at the end it's our own perceptions. 


As a frequent escaper of reality this was everything to me. 

✿°•∘ɷ∘•°✿ ... ✿°•∘ɷ∘•°✿ ... ✿°•∘ɷ∘•°✿✿°•∘ɷ∘•°✿ 

Since I've started, I feel it's ignited a part of my brain I haven't engaged in a really long time. I'll be frank, since I've started reading fiction genre again, it dusted the cobwebs away. I feel creative energy flowing through my veins. I look to the world a bit more rose colored. 


Interestingly, I started off with the saddest book ever. A Tale of the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki (highly recommend) was a world wind of a story. I laughed and cried, and cried and did more crying. However, it made me feel something again. That similar flame I felt as a teen. A proper escape from reality, but this time without all of the teen angst.


I still enjoy going to bookstores and have developed the unhealthy habit of buying said books and never actually opening to read any them. It's always on my mind, but I just cannot find the time. 


My attention and energy would rather go to vegging out watching mindless tv or social media than just starting these books on the shelf. 


One of my goals this year is to start reading more. At least one book per month. 


Seemingly a daunting task, I've realized I simply just need to make the time.

n.c

Post a Comment

© Nabia Rae. Powered by amashupthemes.com